On Procrastination (拖延)2
But then came my 90-page senior thesis, a paper you're supposed a year on.
但是,直到我长达90页的论文,本来计划一年来做。
And I knew for a paper like that, my normal work flow was not an option. It was way too big a project.
而且我知道那样的一篇论文,我之前的工作方式是行不通的,这个项目太大。
So I planned things out, and I decided I kind of had to go something like this.
所以我制定了计划,我决定要按照这种方式来做。
This is how the year would go.
m这一年就应该这样来过(看PPT)。
So I'd start off light, and I'd bump it up in the middle month, and then at the end, I would kick it up into high gear, just like a little staircase. How hard could it be to walk up the stairs?
所以开头会轻松一点,中期任务加重,最后全力冲刺切入高速挡。就像一小段楼梯。走楼梯会有多难?
Not big deal, right? 不是什么大事,对吗?
But then, the funniest thing happened. Those first few months?
但后来,最好玩的事儿出现了。
They came and went, and I couldn't quite do stuff.
他们匆匆来了又走了,而我还没能露一手。
So we had an awesome new revised plan.
所以我们调整了一个超牛的新计划。
But then those middle month actually went by, and I didn't really write words. And so we were here.
但后来中间的几个月也过去了,我并没真的写一个字。然后我们就到这了。
And then two months turned into one month, turned into two weeks.
然后两个月变成一个月,变成两周。
One day I woke up, with 3 days until the deadline, still not having written a word, so I did the only thing I could.
有一天我醒来,离截止日期只有3天了,我还没有写一个字,所以我唯一能做的就是:
I wrote 90 pages over 72 hours, pulling not one but 2 all-nighters. Humans are not supposed to pull 2 all-nighters.
我72小时写了90页,连续通宵两个晚上赶炉温。一般人不应该连续通宵两个晚上
Sprinted across campus, dove in slow motion, and got it in just at the deadline.
飞速冲过校园,像电影中的特效慢镜头一样,在截止日期的最后一刻。
That I thought was at the end of everything.
我以为事情就这么完了。
But a week later, I got a call, It's school.
但是一周后,我接到了学校的电话。
And they say, "is this Tim Urban?' And I say," Yeah"。
他们问,是Tim Urban吗? 我说,是的。
And they say ,"we need talk about your thesis", and I say ,"ok".
他们说,我们要说手你的论文。我说,好的。
And they say," It's the best one we've ever seen."
他们说,这是我们看过的最好的论文。
That did not happen.
那是绝不可能的。
It was a very very bad thesis.
那是最差劲的论文。
I just wanted to enjoy that one moment when all of you thought," this guy is amazing.
我只是想要享受一下你们对我的崇拜,“这家伙太厉害了”
No, no, it was very very bad.
不,不,它其实很差劲。
1. How did Urban planed to finish his senior thesis?
He would spread his work throughout the year.
2. Which part of Urban story is false?
The school thought his senior thesis was excellent.
3. To kick into high gear means.... to work at top speed or efficiency.
4. Then came my 90-page senior thesis, a paper you're supposed to spend a year on. And I knew for a paper like that, my normal work flow was not an option.
Anyway, today I'm a writer-blogger guy, I write the blog Wait but why.
不管怎样,我今天成为一名博客写手,经营"wait but why”
And a couple of years ago, I decided to write about procrastination.
几年前,我决定写写“拖延”这件事。
My behavior has always preplexed(困惑) the non-procrastinators around me. And I wanted to explain the non-procrastinators of the word.
我的行为方式总是让身边非拖延症的人感到困惑。我想要向世上的非拖延症者解释。
What goes on in the heads of procrastinators, Why we are the ways we are?
我们拖延症者脑子是什么样的?我们为什么要这样?
Now, I had a hypothesis that the brains of procrastinators were actually different than the brains of other people.
现在,我又一个假设,拖延症患者的大脑实际上和非拖延症者的大脑不一样。
And to test this, I found an MRI lab that actually let me scan both my brain and the brain of a proven non-procrastinator, so I could compare them.
为了测试这个,我找了一个核磁共振实验室,实际上是为了扫描我的大脑和已确认为非拖延症者的大脑,以此让我来进行比较。
And I should brought them here to show you today, and I want you to take a look carefully to see if you can notice a difference, and I know that if you are not a trained brain expert, it's not that obvious, but just take a look, ok?
今天我带到现场来展示给你们看,我希望你们仔细观察,看你能否注意到差异。然而我知道你们并不是一个受过训练的脑部专家。差异也不是很明显,但只是看一看,好吗?
So here is the brain of a non-procrastinator?
所以,这是一个非拖延症者的大脑。
Now, here is my brain. 现在,这是我的大脑。
There is a difference. 确有不同。
Both brains have a rational decision maker, but the procrastinators brain also has an instant Gratification(满足 快感) Monkey.
两个大脑都有一个理性决策者。但在拖延症者大脑里还有一只及时行乐的猴子。
Now, what does this mean for the procrastinator? well, means everything is fine until this happens.
现在,这对拖延症者意味着什么呢?这意味着平时一切都好,直到出现这种情况,
So the rational decision maker will make the rational decision to do something productive, but the monkey doesn't like that plan, so he actually takes the wheel.
所以,理性决策者将会为了更有成效而作出理性的决策,但是猴子不喜欢这个计划,所以实际上他抢过方向盘
And he says :"Actually, let's read the entire Wikipedia page of Nancy Kerrigan/ Tonya Harding scandal, because I just remember that happened.
然后他说,:说实话,让我们去维基百科上查查NKTH的丑闻吧,因为我刚刚记得发生那些。
Then we could are going to go over the fridge, to see if there is anything new in there since 10 minutes ago?
然后,我们可能要去翻翻冰箱,去看看从10分钟前还有什么新的东西。
After that, we are going to go on a YouTube spiral that start with videos of Richard Feynman talking about magnets and ends much much later with us watching interviews with Justin Bieber's Mom.
那以后,我们要上YUTUBE上看一串视频,从理查德谈论磁铁开始,到很久很久后的JB妈妈访谈结束。
All of that's going to take a while, so we are not going to really have room on schedule for any work today. Sorry.
所有那些都要话费时间,所以我们今天将没有真正的时间安排来工作。对不起。
1. What was the high policy of Urban's article?
The brains of procrastinators and non-procrastinators are different.
2. According to Urban what does the rational decision maker represent?
The ability to think clearly and logically.
3. What does gratification mean?
Getting pleasure from satisfying a desire.
听&复述
4. I knew for a paper like that, my normal work flow was not an option.
5. How hard could it be to walk up the stairs? No big deal, right?
6. I want you to take a look carefully to see if you can notice a difference.
7. If you pull an all nighter, you stay up late to finish a test or an assignment.
网友评论