Chapter 2 Catching a convict
抓住一名罪犯
All that morning I was frightened that my sister would discover that I had stolen from her,but luckily she was so busy cleaning the house,and roasting the chickens for our Christmas lunch that she did not notice that I had been out,or that any food was missing.
一上午,我一直害怕姐姐会发现我偷了她的东西,但是,幸运的是她只顾忙于打扫房间,为我们的圣诞节午饭准备烤鸡,并没有注意我出过门,也没发现少了任何吃的东西。
At half-past one our two guests arrived.
1点半钟,我们的两位客人到了。
Mr Wopsle had a large nose and a shining,bald forehead,and was the church clerk.
伍甫赛先生的鼻子很大,秃顶的额头闪闪发光,他是教堂里的办事员。
Mr Pumblechook, who had a shop in the nearest town,was a fat,middle-aged man witn a mouth like a fish,and staring eyes.
潘波趣先生,他在最近的镇上有一个商店,是一个长得体胖腰圆的中年人,有一副像鱼的嘴脸,贼溜溜的眼睛,
He was really Joe's uncle but it was Mrs Joe who called him uncle.
他是乔的亲舅舅,可是乔夫人却喊他舅舅。
Every Christmas Day he arrived with two bottles of wine,handing them proudly to my sister.
每年圣诞节,他都带两瓶葡萄酒来送给我姐姐,以显示他的阔气。
Oh Uncle Pumblechook!This is kind!she always replied.
噢,潘波趣舅舅您真是个好心人!她总是这样说。
It's no more than you deserve,was the answer every time.
这是一点小意思,每一次都是这种回答。
Sitting at table with these guests I would have felt uncomfortable even if I hadn't robbed my sister.
和这些客人们围桌而坐,即使我没偷姐姐的东西,我的心情也不好受,
Not only was Pumblechook's elbow in my eye,but I wasn't allowed to speak,and they gave me the worst pieces of meat.
不但潘波趣和我近在咫尺,而且不允许我说话,他们给我的是最不好的一块肉,
Even the chickens must have been ashamed of those parts of their bodies when they were alive.
甚至给的鸡块也是它们活着的时候身体最害臊的那部分。
And worse than that,the adults never left me in peace.
比这更坏的是大人们总是打搅我。
Before we eat,let us thank God for the food in frontof us,said Mr Wopsle,in the deep voice he used inchurch.
我们进餐之前,让我们感谢上帝赐给我们面前的食物,伍甫赛先生以他在教堂常用的低沉语调说。
Do you hear that?whispered my sister to me.Begrateful!
你听见了吗?姐姐耳语对我说,感谢!
Especially,said Mr Pumblechook firmly,begrateful,boy,to those who brought you up byhand.
特别是,潘波趣先生坚定地说,孩子,要感谢那些把你亲手带大的人。
Why are the young never grateful?wondered Mr Wopsle sadly.
为什么这个小家伙从来没有感激之情呀?惊奇的伍甫赛先生不解地问。
Their characters are naturally bad,answered Mr Pumblechook,and all three looked unpleasantlyat me.
他们的品行就是天生的坏,潘波趣先生回答说,三个人不愉快地看着我。
When there were guests,Joe's position was even lower than usual,but he always tried to helpme if he could.
当有客人的时候,乔的地位甚至比平时还要低,但是,他总是尽最大努力设法帮助我。
Sometimes he comforted me by giving me extra gravy.
有时,他用给我额外添的点肉汁来安慰我。
He did that now.
现在,他就是这样做的。
Just imagine,boy,said Mr Pumblechook,if your sister hadn't brought you up—
正走神呢,孩子,潘波趣先生说,如果不是你姐姐亲手把你带大…
You listen to this,said my sister to me crossly.
你听着,我姐姐不高兴地对我说。
If,as I say,she hadn't spent her life looking after you,where would you be now?
如果像我说的,不是她花费很大的精力照顾你,你现在还不知在哪儿呢?
Joe offered me more gravy.
乔又给我加了一些肉汤。
He was a lot of trouble to you,madam,Mr Wopsle said sympathetically to my sister.
他给你添了不少麻烦,夫人,伍甫赛先生对我姐姐同情地说。
Trouble?she cried.Trouble?And then she started on a list of all my illnesses,accidents andcrimes,while everybody except Joe looked at me with disgust.
麻烦?她喊了起来,麻烦?接着她开始罗列了一堆我的生病、意外及干的坏事,除了乔,其他人都用反感的目光瞅着我。
Joe added more gravy to the meat swimming on my plate,and I wanted to pull Mr Wopsle'snose.
乔又添了些肉汤,使那块肉在我盘子里漂浮着,我真想揪伍甫赛先生的鼻子。
网友评论