美文网首页
2020-03-07 英语打卡啦!

2020-03-07 英语打卡啦!

作者: 大Pei | 来源:发表于2020-03-07 13:52 被阅读0次

    Have You Ever Met Your Twin Strangers?

    有人和你长得一样吗?

    来源: https://globalnews.ca/news

    官方翻译

    "I saw someone who looked just like you!"

    “我看见一个人和你长得简直一模一样!”

    You've probably heard that at least once in your lifetime.

    你一生中可能至少听过一次这句话。

    But are people who look exactly like us possible?

    但世上可能有和我们长得一模一样的人吗?

    Michael Sheehan, an assistant professor of neurobiology and behavior at Cornell University says it is.

    康奈尔大学神经生物学和行为学助理教授迈克尔·希恩说,这是有可能的。

    He concluded in a recent study that our faces have evolved due to the importance of individuality to our species.

    他在最近的一项研究中总结说,由于个性对我们来说十分重要,我们的面孔已经进化了。

    Think about it: you walk down a street and you see a multitude of faces.

    想想看:你走在街上,你会看到很多面孔。

    How many look almost the same?

    但有多少看起来几乎一样呢?

    Now, take a walk in a park and look at the squirrels bandying about. Can you really tell them apart?

    现在你再去公园里散散步,看看那些四处乱窜的松鼠。你真的能区分它们吗?

    "Humans are really phenomenally diverse, but you don't see that in other species," said Sheehan.

    希恩说:“人类确实具有惊人的多样性,其他物种就没有这个特点。”

    So what about the stories we read where two people definitely look strikingly similar?

    那么,我们读到的故事中,两个人看起来惊人地相似,这又是怎么一回事呢?

    It might be a case of our genes running out of options.

    这可能是我们的基因别无选择了。

    "It's like a Rubik's Cube — you can get a lot of variation," Sheehan said.

    “这就像魔方——可以有很多变化。” 希恩说。

    However, "There's sort of a numbers game to it."

    不过,“这也有点像数字游戏。”

    Though our features vary more than any other animal, our genes do not.

    尽管我们的面貌比任何其他动物都更多样化,但我们的基因却并非如此。

    In fact, we aren't that genetically diverse.

    事实上,我们的基因并没有那么多样化。

    So eventually, the numbers would dictate that certain features resembling yours and will randomly combine.

    所以最终,这些数字将随机组合,让某些人的面貌与你的相似。

    But that doesn't mean they are an exact duplicate of you.

    但这并不意味着他们会完全是你的翻版。

    Take a look at the doppelgangers: they might have the same smile, same color eyes, but look closer. You will undoubtedly spot something that isn't quite exact between the two.

    看看这对相貌十分相似的人:她们可能有相同的笑容,相同颜色的眼睛,但她们仅仅是看上去很像。毫无疑问,你会在这两个人之间发现一些不太像的地方。

    There's also the case of our brains.

    这也和我们的大脑有关。

    If you've ever been told you look "exactly" like someone only to wonder what is wrong with your friend's eyesight, it's a perception thing.

    如果有人告诉你,你看起来和别人“完全”一模一样,你却只想知道你朋友的视力出了什么问题,这其实是一种感知。

    While we know ourselves best — we've seen our own faces every day almost since the day we were born —

    尽管我们最了解自己了——几乎从出生那天起,我们每天都能看到自己的脸——

    our friends might see a few similar features that stick out to them and equate that with looking "exactly" like you.

    但朋友们可能会注意到有人和你有一些突出的相似面貌特征,并说这个人和你长得“完全”一模一样。

    With seven billion people in the world, it's fun — if not a bit eerie — to think that someone out there looks so much like us that even we have to do a double-take.

    世界上有70亿人口,想到有人长得和我们如此相像,以至于我们都得再仔细看一看,如果不算有点怪异,也是挺有趣的。

    相关文章

      网友评论

          本文标题:2020-03-07 英语打卡啦!

          本文链接:https://www.haomeiwen.com/subject/mnhcdhtx.html