F: Guess what, I've got some news.
你猜怎么着,我有消息要告诉你。
M: Oh, you mean about Jack?
你是说杰克吗?
F: Yes, have you heard?
是的,你听说了吗?
M: Yes, Eliza messaged me a few minutes ago.
听说了,伊丽莎几分钟前给我发了消息。
F: Isn't it wonderful? He's been accepted to Stanford!
很棒吧?他被斯坦福录取了!
M: Really? That's not what I heard.
真的?我听到的不是这样。
F: Oh, what have you heard?
哦,你听说了什么?
M: I heard he didn't get in.
我听说他没被录取。
F: So it was just a rumor.
所以这只是个谣言。
M: If that's what you heard, it isn't true. He really wanted to get in, but from what I've heard he's just on their waiting list.
如果你听到的是这样,那就不是真的。他真的很想进去。但据我所知,他还在候补名单上。
F: Oh, then there's still a chance that he'll get in.
哦,那他还是有机会被录取的。
M: I guess so. But even if he gets in, how is he going to pay for it? It's very expensive and his family isn't wealthy.
我想是这样。但是,即使他进了大学,他要怎么付钱呢?学费很贵,他的家庭也不富裕。
F: Well he can always get a student loan, or maybe he'll get a scholarship.
嗯,他应该可以申请学生贷款,或者他可能拿到奖学金。
M: If he gets a loan, it'll be for a lot of money. He would be taking on a lot of debt.
如果他获得贷款,那将是一大笔钱。他会负债累累。
F: Still, a degree from Stanford is worth a lot, and I've heard they have a lot of money for scholarships.
不过,斯坦福的学位还是很值钱的,我听说他们有很多奖学金。
M: I wonder what he'll do. If he gets in, I hope he gets a scholarship.
我想知道他会怎么做?如果他被录取,我希望他能得到奖学金。
F: What will he do if he DOESN'T get into Stanford? What are his other choices?
如果他进不了斯坦福怎么办?还有什么选择吗?
M: The only other school I've heard him mention is Cambridge, in England.
我听他提过另一所学校是英国的剑桥。
F: Oh, well that's not a bad choice.
哦,这是个不错的选择。
M: What about you? Have you heard anything?
你呢?你听到什么了吗?
F: Me? I'll tell you if you promise not to tell anyone, ok?
我?如果你答应不告诉任何人,我就告诉你,好吗?
M: Sure, if it's a secret, you can trust me.
当然,如果是秘密,你可以相信我。
F: I've been accepted into MIT on a full scholarship.
我获得了麻省理工学院的全额奖学金。
M: MIT? You're joking, right?
麻省理工学院?你在开玩笑吧?
F: No, I'm serious.
我是认真的。
M: Why haven't you told anyone?
你为什么没有告诉别人?
F: I don't know. I think I'll wait until everyone else has heard from their choices. I really didn't expect to get in.
我不知道。我想我会等到其他人都听说了自己的选择。我真没想到会被录取。
M: Yeah, especially with the full scholarship. Some people will be jealous when they hear about it. But we all know you are smart, so it's something you should be proud of.
是的,尤其是全额奖学金,有些人听到这个消息会嫉妒的。但是我们都知道你很聪明,所以你应该感到骄傲。
F: Thanks, I'm really excited.
谢谢,我真的很兴奋。
网友评论