Chapter 11
第11章
"I'll be leaving now, Mrs. Brannigan."
“我该走了,布兰里根夫人。”
"What? Oh. Didn't anyone tell you, Tracy? We're having a delegation of VIP visitors today. They'll be having lunch here at the house, so Amy won't be having her nap. You may take her with you."
“什么?没人告诉你吗,特蕾西?我们今天要接待一个非常重要的代表团。他们要在这里吃午饭,所以爱米今天中午不睡觉了,你可以带着她。”
Tracy stood there, willing herself not to scream. "I--- I can't do that, Mrs. Brannigan."
特蕾西站在那里,极力不让自己喊出声来:“我——我带不了,布兰里根夫人。”
Sue Ellen Brannigan stiffened. "What do you mean you can't do that?"
休-爱伦板起面孔:“你说带不了是什么意思?”
Tracy saw the anger in her face and she thought, l mustn't upset her. She'll call the warden, and I'll be sent back to my cell.
特蕾西看到她满脸怒容,心想,我千万不能惹她生气。她会把监狱长找来,这样我会被押回牢房。
Tracy forced a smile. "I mean... Amy hasn't had her lunch. She'll be hungry."
特蕾西强作笑容:“我的意思是……爱米还没有吃午饭,她会饿的。”
"I've had the cook prepare a picnic lunch for both of you. You can go for a nice walk in the meadow and have it there. Amy enjoys picnics, don't you, darling?"
“我已经吩咐厨师给你们俩准备了一份野餐。你们可以到草地好好玩玩,并且在那儿吃午饭。爱米喜欢野餐,是吗,亲爱的?”
"I love picnics." She looked at Tracy pleadingly. "Can we, Tracy? Can we?"
“我可喜欢野餐了。”她恳求地望着特蕾西,“特蕾西,行吗?可以吗?”
No! Yes. Careful. It could still work.
不行!不,也许还能来得及。
Be in the utility room by one-thirty. Don't be late.
一定要在一点半以前赶到杂用室。可别晚了。
Tracy looked at Mrs. Brannigan. "What--- what time do you want me to bring Amy back?"
特蕾西看着布兰里根夫人:“您——您想让我几点把爱米带回来?”
"Oh, about three o'clock. They should be gone by then."
“噢,三点左右吧。那时他们也该走了。”
So would the truck. The world was tumbling in on her. "I---"
可卡车也会走的。这几个字在她的脑海里翻腾着:“我——”
"Are you all right? You look pale."
“你能行吗?你的脸色苍白。”
That was it. She would say she was ill. Go to the hospital.
对了。她想说她病了,要去医院。
But then they would want to check her over and keep her there. She would never be able to get out in time. There had to be some other way.
但他们会把她留在那儿,给她反复检查。她是决不会按时脱身的,还得另想办法。
Mrs. Brannigan was staring at her.
布兰里根夫人目不转睛地看着她。
"I'm fine."
“我能行。”
There's something wrong with her, Sue Ellen Brannigan decided. I'm definitely going to have George get someone else.
她一定有什么问题,休-爱伦-布兰里根想,我必须让乔治另找一个人。
Amy's eyes were alight with joy. "I'll give you the biggest sandwiches, Tracy. We'll have a good time, won't we?"
爱米兴奋得眼睛发光。“特蕾西,我要把最大的一块三明治给你。我们会玩得非常痛快的,对吗?”
Tracy had no answer.
特蕾西没有回答。
网友评论