Topic:健康与安全
图片by阿雅一、规定、规则和法律
我们在日常生活中受到 laws、rules 和 regulations 的影响。
One of the rules is that nobody can be in the office after 8 p.m.其中一条规则是晚上8点后谁都不能在办公室
There are so many government regulations for driving a car.政府对于开车有诸多规定。
It's important to understand the laws of a country that you're visiting.务必了解所访问国家的法律。
用此类词语和短语来谈论 laws:
In my country, it's still legal to talk on the phone while driving.在我们国家,开车时打电话是合法的。
Smoking in bars and restaurants is illegal in my city.在我们城市,在酒吧和餐厅里吸烟是违法的。
Driving over 30 miles per hour downtown is against the law.在市区开车时速超过 30 英里是违法的。
He had to pay a fine for driving without his seatbelt on.由于开车没系安全带,他必须缴纳罚金。
用此类词语和短语来谈论你可以和不可以从事的活动:
Swimming is not allowed here because of safety concerns.出于安全原因,此处禁止游泳。
Driving a motorcycle without a helmet is prohibited by law.法律禁止骑摩托车时不戴头盔。
Use of cellphones during the flight is not permitted.飞行中不得使用手机。
二、谈论规章制度
用此类表达提醒某人注意某条规章制度:
It's been brought to my attention that you've been smoking on the balcony.我注意到你一直在阳台上吸烟。
Did you not receive the new office rules?你没有收到新的办公室规定吗?
There's now a regulation against smoking anywhere in the building.现在有规定禁止在楼内的任何地点吸烟。
It's a new city law.这是新的州法律。
用 must 来表达强烈的义务,用 mustn't 表示不允许做某事:
You must follow the new office rules.你必须遵守新的办公室规则。
You mustn't smoke on the balcony.你不可以在阳台上吸烟。
以下是用于谈论规章制度的更多表达:
There's a $50 fine for not wearing a seatbelt.不系安全带会罚款 50 美元。
The rules are there to protect people.规则的目的是保护大家。
You can't just smoke anywhere you want.你不能随心所欲地到处抽烟。
I'm sorry, but it's not allowed.抱歉,这样做是不允许的。
三、礼貌地拒绝请求
如果你处于领导位置,可能需要拒绝他人的请求,或者向他们解释规则。
A: That's crazy! Why can't I smoke here?真是疯了!我为什么不能在这抽烟?
B: I'm sorry, but that's the law.抱歉,这是法律规定。
用以下其他表达来礼貌地拒绝请求:
I'm afraid that's just not possible.恐怕不行。
I'd really like to help you, but I don't make the rules.我非常希望帮你,但规则不是我制定的。
Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do.很遗憾,我爱莫能助。
文化注释:无论与你谈话的对象是否礼貌,你自身始终应保持礼貌。
四、受伤和急救
五、反身代词
用反身代词谈论主语和宾语相同时的动作。反身代词通过给代词添加 -self 或 -selves 等后缀构成。
I cut myself making a bagel.我做百吉饼时割伤了自己。
He cut himself in the kitchen.他在厨房切伤了自己。
They bandaged themselves after the accident.他们在事故后自行用绷带包扎。
How did you hurt yourself?你怎么伤到自己的?
你还可用反身代词来表示强调。
I'm not going to help you. Do it yourself.我不会帮你的。自己动手吧。
The boss asked to speak to me himself. It was then I knew I was in trouble.老板要亲自跟我谈。那时候我才知道自己惹麻烦了。
六、坚持
有时人们伤到自己时,不希望他人大惊小怪。他们可能会说:
Don't worry. I'm fine.别担心。我没事。
It's not that serious. I don't need to see a doctor.没有那么严重。我不用看医生。
Honestly, I can take care of myself.真的,我能照顾好自己。
尽管有这些安慰性的话语,但他人仍然可能坚持采取行动:
It's company policy that you go to the emergency room.公司政策规定你应该去急诊室。
I really must insist that you see a doctor.我真的认为你必须去看医生。
Don't be foolish. You have to take care of that.不要犯傻。你必须去治疗。
最后,受伤者的态度可能变温和:
I suppose you're right.我想你是对的。
七、工作场所健康词汇
八、讨论推荐
用此类表达来询问推荐:
What were the final recommendations?最终建议是什么?
Have they demanded new workplace regulations?他们有没有要求制定新的工作场所规定?
用此类表达来转述推荐:
First, the expert said we needed to improve the workplace environment.首先,专家认为我们需要改善工作场所的环境。
He said we have to do something about the bathroom floor. It's too slippery.他说浴室地板太滑了,我们得采取一点措施。
He also recommended that we purchase new first-aid kits.他还建议我们购买新的急救箱。
He strongly advised that we have regular evacuation drills.他强烈建议我们开展定期的疏散演习。
九、现在完成时的被动语态
你可使用现在完成时的被动语态来谈论过去的动作,或者对现在有影响的事件。
New regulations have been announced by the government.新规定已经被政府宣布。
The report has been compiled by a safety expert.这份报告是由一名安全专家编写的。
A decision has been made by the local council.一项决定已在当地议会做出。
记住,我们通常在动作的宾语比主动者(换言之,实施该动作的人或事物)更重要时使用被动语态。实际上,主动者有时可以完全省略。
New regulations have been announced.新规定已经被宣布。
The report has been compiled.报告已编写完成。
A decision has been made.决定已经做出。
网友评论