L10 U1 Meetings

作者: AsaGuo | 来源:发表于2019-05-12 11:37 被阅读0次

    Module 1 Opening a meeting

    1. Meetings

    • agenda 议事日程
    • merger 合并
    • aware 意识到的
    • resigned 辞职
    • executives 执行总监
    • challenge 艰巨的任务,难题
    • figuring out 想出,弄明白
    • accurate 准确的

    会议中用到的名词、动词和形容词
    以下是一些商务会议中可以用到的名词:

    • There are five items on today's agenda. 今天的日程有五项。
    • The merger of our two companies is still going ahead. 我们两家公司的并购还在进行中。
    • The final decision will be made by the CEO. CEO会做出最终决定。
    • The CFO is responsible for reporting all company income. CFO负责汇报公司营收。
    • John is our new marketing executive. John是我们的新任销售主管。
    • Our biggest challenge is to increase our market share. 我们最大的挑战是增加市场份额。

    以下是一些商务会议中可以用到的动词:

    • We have to figure out a solution to this problem. 我们必须想办法解决这个问题。
    • Their CEO resigned last week. 他们的CEO上周辞职了。
    • They just fired their marketing executive. 他们刚把销售主管辞了。

    以下是一些商务会议中可以用到的形容词:

    • The figures in the report were not accurate. 报告中的数据不准确。

    • I was not aware how serious the situation was. 我不知道情况有这么严重。

    • The CFO is responsible for the numbers being accurate. CFO要对数据的准确性负责。

    • I wasn't aware of the merger until yesterday. 我昨天才知道并购的事。

    • How many items are there on the agenda? 日程上有几个事项?

    2. Changing values

    • Let's get started. 我们开始吧。
    • Do you all have the agenda? 大家都拿到议事日程了吗?
    • The purpose of this meeting is to ... 本次会议的目的是……
    • The five of us are here because ... 我们五个人来到这里,是因为……
    • The first item on the agenda is ... 会议议程第一项是……

    开始会议:在会议开始时通常我们有必要吸引每个人的注意力。检查一下是否人手一份日程表。务必要感谢每一个人的当场,然后告诉他们此次会议的目的。

    • OK, everyone. If I could have your attention, please. Let's get started. 好的,各位请注意,会议现在开始。
    • Does everyone have an agenda? As you can see, we have three items to discuss today. 每个人都拿到日程表了吗?如大家所见,我们今天要讨论三个事项。

    对到场的人表示感谢十分重要。

    • Thank you all for coming today. I know how busy you all are. 感谢大家到场。我知道你们都很忙。

    确保每个到场人员明白会议目的。

    • The purpose of today's meeting is to discuss the CFO's resignation and her replacement. 今天会议的目的是讨论CFO的离职和下一任人选问题。
    • We are here because a competitor has proposed a merger with our company. 有家竞争对手提出要和我们公司合并,今天的会议就是要讨论这个问题。

    可以用日程来开始会议。

    • The first item on the agenda is a company update from the CEO. 日程第一项是由CEO发布公司最新动态。
    • OK. Let's begin with item number one, the company update. 好的,我们现在开始进行第一项,公司动态。
    • OK, everyone, let's get started. 好了,各位,我们可以开始了。
    • Thank you all for coming. I know that you're busy. 感谢各位的到来。我知道大家都很忙。
    • Does everyone have an agenda? 大家都拿到日程表了吗?
    • If I could have your attention, please. 请大家注意。
    • The first item on the agenda is an update from the CFO. 日程第一项是来自CFO的最新情况。
    • The purpose of today's meeting is a company update. 今天会议的目的是汇报一下公司的最新情况。

    3. Reading an agenda


    Proposed merger with Intech Industries

    Agenda

    Jeff Grimes: Update from the CEO
    Latest on the proposed merger – consequences for our company
    Sheila Jacobs: Update from the CFO
    Financial report on proposed merger
    Bob Lewis: Update from the CTO
    Technology strengths and weaknesses of both companies
    Open discussion of pros and cons of merger
    Jeff Grimes: Challenges, next steps


    4. Discussing company problems

    • just wasn't working 就是不起作用
    • It's time for a change. 该改变的时候了。
    • hearing some complaints 听一些人抱怨
    • I need more detailed information. 我需要更多详细的信息。
    • The primary problem's communication. 首要问题是沟通。
    • Could you be more specific? 你能更具体一些吗?
    • For instance ... 比如……
    • A huge challenge for me is ... 对我而言,一个艰巨的任务是……

    问题陈述:陈述问题时请务必做到简明扼要。用问题或挑战这类词汇来清晰地说明问题。

    • The primary problem is a difference in management style. 首要问题是管理方式的不同。
    • The biggest challenge we face is growing competition. 我们面临的最大挑战是日益激烈的竞争。

    阐述和举例:如果有问题没有搞懂,请要求对方澄清。

    • A: The biggest problem is their CFO. 最大的问题是他们的CFO。
    • B: Could you be more specific? 可以说得具体一点吗?

    用细节和例子增强针对性。

    • For instance, they don't return our phone calls. 比如,他们不回我们的电话。
    • The best example I can give is our decreasing market share. 我能想到的最好的例子就是我们的市场份额正在下降。
    • OK, everyone. Could I have your attention? 好了,各位。请注意了。
    • Does everyone have a copy of the agenda? 每个人手里都有一份日程表吗?
    • The purpose of our meeting is to discuss salaries. 这次会议的目的是讨论一下薪水问题。
    • The primary problem is our competitiveness. 首要问题是我们的竞争力。
    • For instance, we're losing sales in Asia. 比如,我们在亚洲市场的销售额出现了下滑。
    • This is the biggest challenge we face. 这是我们面临最大的问题。

    Module 2 Discussing proposals in a meeting

    1. Proposals

    • propose 提议
    • a good start 好的开始
    • morale 士气
    • team building 团队建设
    • budget 预算
    • further 更进一步地
    • promises 承诺
    • evaluating 评定

    名词和动词
    每学一个新单词务必注意它的各类词性。有时名词和动词是同一个词;有时动词加上后缀,比如-al或-ion,就变成了名词。看一下不同的词汇。
    Verb Noun

    • start start
    • budget budget
    • promise promise
    • evaluate evaluation
    • negotiate negotiation
    • resign resignation
    • solve solution
    • propose proposal

    以下是提出和讨论议案可以用到的词汇:

    • How could we take the idea one step further? 我们怎么可以让这个问题的讨论更进一步?
    • What do you think about team building? Would that solve the problem? 你怎么看团队建设?团队建设可以解决问题吗?
    • We need to do something to improve employee morale. 我们需要提高员工士气。
    • I can't promise you a bigger budget for that project. 我不能保证可以给这个项目增加预算。
    • Every employee is evaluated by a manager. 每个员工都会由一名经理评估。
    • The negotiations are off to a good start. 谈判会有一个良好的开端。
    • What exactly do you propose as a solution? 那么你的解决方案到底是什么?
    • Do team-building exercises improve morale? 团队建设训练是否可以提高士气?
    • How could we take the idea one step further? 怎样让讨论更深入呢?

    2. Agreeing and disagreeing

    • I'm not sure I agree with that. 我不敢说我同意那一点。
    • I really disagree. 我坚决不同意。
    • I really like that idea. 我很喜欢那种想法。
    • I think so, too. 我也这么看。
    • I think those are all excellent ideas. 我认为那些点子都非常不错。

    同意和不同意:对某人或某事表示同意或不同意有很多种说法。以下表示同意:

    • Yeah, that would be OK. (mild agreement) 是的,这样可以。(温和)
    • I think so, too. (agreement) 我也这么想。(直接)
    • I agree with you. (agreement) 我同意你。(直接)
    • We're on the same page. (agreement) 我们意见一致。(直接)
    • I really like that idea. (strong agreement) 我真的喜欢这个主意。(强烈)
    • I think those are excellent ideas. (strong agreement) 我认为这些主意非常棒。(强烈)

    以下是不同意的表达:

    • I'm not sure I agree with that. (mild disagreement) 我不确定我是否同意(温和)
    • I'm sorry, but I disagree. (polite disagreement) 对不起,我不同意。(礼貌)
    • I'm not with you on that. (disagreement) 我不同意你的观点。(直接)
    • I really disagree with you. (strong disagreement) 我真的不同意你。(强烈)
    • I think that's a terrible idea. (very strong disagreement) 我认为这个想法很糟糕。(非常强烈)
    • I agree with you. 我同意你的观点。
    • I think that's an excellent idea. 我认为这个想法非常好。
    • We're definitely on the same page. 我们绝对意见一致。
    • I'm not with you on that. 这件事上我不同意你的观点。
    • I'm sorry, but I disagree. 对不起,我不同意。
    • I think that's a terrible idea. 我觉得这个想法很糟糕。

    3. Making proposals

    • What solution can I propose? 我能够提出什么样的解决方案?
    • One way to solve the problem might be ... 一种解决问题的办法可能是……
    • At least let's send them to ... 至少让我们把他们送到……
    • I'd like to propose ... 我想提议……
    • What do you have in mind? 你有什么想法?
    • How difficult would it be to ... ? ……会有多难?
    • Let's take that one step further. 让我们再进一步。
    • I can't make any promises, but ... 我做不了保证,但是……

    提议:提出议案有很多方法,有的很直接,有的更间接一些。
    间接或礼貌的提议

    • One way to solve the problem might be to increase the training budget. 增加培训预算可以是解决问题的一个方法。
    • At least let's talk about increasing the training budget. 至少要讨论一下增加培训预算的问题。
    • How difficult would it be to increase the training budget? 增加培训预算很难吗?

    正式或直接的提议

    • I'd like to propose that we increase the training budget. 我想提议提高培训预算。
    • I propose that we increase the training budget. 我提议提高培训预算。
    • Let's take that one step further and increase the training budget. 让我们再进一步,增加培训预算。
    • I propose that excellent employees get rewarded. 我提议表现出色的员工应该受到奖赏。
    • Team members who miss deadlines should be punished. 错过截止期的团队成员应该受到惩罚。
    • One way to solve the problem is to change the seating. 解决这个问题的方法之一是改变座次。
    • I didn't think we'd have all of these problems. 我不认为我们会碰到所有这些问题。
    • Hang on a minute. I'm not sure I agree with you. 等一下。我不确定我是否跟你观点一致。
    • How difficult would it be to increase the budget? 增加预算能有多难呢?

    Module 3 Concluding a meeting

    1. Company issues

    • task 任务
    • coming up with 提出
    • coordination 协作
    • smoothly 平稳地,流畅地
    • back and forth 来回地,反复地
    • in charge 负责,主管
    • involve 涉及
    • conclude 结束
    • keep me informed 让我了解情况
    • rumors 谣言
    • The sooner we can conclude the deal, the better. 越快完成交易越好。
    • The meeting will involve a lot of different people. 这次会议会有很多不同的人参加。
    • This back and forth between Paris and London is tough. 这样往返于巴黎和伦敦之间真的挺磨人的。
    • We need to come up with a coordination plan. 我们需要制定一个协调计划。
    • Who will be in charge while you're away? 你不在的时候谁负责?
    • I've informed the board about the merger rumors. 我已经向董事会汇报了并购传言。
    • She completed all of her tasks smoothly. 她顺利地完成了所有任务。

    2. Review:future tenses 复习:将来时

    复习一下谈论未来的不同说法。
    用一般将来时will和其否定形式won't来表示自愿做某事、承诺或预测。

    • I'll help you. 我帮你。
    • I promise I won't spread any rumors. 我保证不散播任何谣言。
    • I'm sure that team coordination will improve. 我相信团队协作会有改进的。

    用一般将来时be going to来谈论计划或预测。

    • He is going to travel to Mexico City next week. 下周他会去墨西哥城。
    • I believe we're going to have a merger. 我相信我们会实行并购。

    用将来进行时will或be going to加动词be和一个现在分词来谈论将来会发生的持续性的动作。

    • I'll be doing some back and forth between here and Mexico. 我会从这儿到墨西哥之间往返好几趟。
    • She's going to be running the office while he's away. 他不在时由她主持工作。

    用将来完成时will或be going to,动词have加上一个过去分词来讨论将来某个时间点已经完成的动作。

    • The meeting will have concluded by the time you return. 等你回来会议都结束了。
    • We won't have finished the project by next week. 下周项目完成不了。

    3. Starting or returning to a topic

    • Now, as I was saying ... 现在,正如我所说的……
    • Now, where was I? Oh, yes. 现在,我说到哪了?噢,是的。
    • Let me see. 让我想想。
    • Oh, and one more thing ... 哦,还有一件事……

    在讨论中开始或回到某个点。
    当需要在讨论中开始一个新观点时可以用到这些表达。当你需要一点时间思考时可以用let me see。

    • Let me see. The next point of discussion is challenges in the coming year. 让我想想。下个要讨论的话题是明年面临的挑战。
    • The next item on the agenda is an update from our CFO. 日程下一项是来自CFO的最新信息。
    • Moving on, let's discuss the plan to expand overseas. 下一步,让我们来讨论一下海外扩张的问题。
    • Oh, and one more thing: we need to discuss a change in employee insurance. 哦,还有一件事。我们要讨论一下员工保险的一个变动。

    有时候讨论会偏题。如果讨论偏题,可以用这些表达来带回主题:

    • Now, as I was saying, our competitive situation in Europe has changed. 正像我刚才说的,我们在欧洲的竞争局面已经发生了变化。
    • Now, where was I? Oh, yes – the sales figures for last quarter. 我刚说到哪儿了?哦,是的,上个季度的销售额。
    • Getting back to my point, I think a merger is not an option. 回到我的观点,我认为并购是不可取的。

    4. Closing a meeting

    • Let's conclude this meeting quickly. 让我们快点结束这场会议。
    • As a next step ... 接下来……
    • I'll follow up on the idea of ... 我后续会关注……的主意
    • I'll also send an email. 我还会发送一封邮件。
    • This discussion is confidential. 此次讨论事关机密。
    • Nothing leaves this room. 出了这个房间跟谁也别说。
    • Okay, that's it for now. 好,目前情况就是这样了。
    • Thank you all for coming. 谢谢各位前来。
    • Could you stay behind? 你能留下来一会吗?

    结束会议:如果要结束会议,通常先会预示会议即将结束,然后再讨论接下来每个人需要完成的任务,也就是next steps。最后主持会议的人感谢所有人的到场。
    用这些表达来说明会议即将结束:

    • OK, I know we're all busy, so let's conclude this meeting quickly. 好的,我知道大家都很忙,所以我们快点结束吧。
    • I think that's about it. Let's wrap things up. 我认为差不多了。来做个总结吧。
    • Unless anyone has anything else, I think we're ready to talk about next steps. 如果没有人有任何别的意见,我觉得我们可以讨论下一步计划了。

    用这些表达来谈论未来计划。表达未来自愿做某事时,人们会使用will。

    • I'll follow up on finding a better location for the office. 我会继续寻找更好的办公地点。
    • Moving forward, we will need to learn more about our competition. 未来我们需要了解更多竞争对手的情况。

    当下一步需要间接地提出命令时,经理可以用“let's”。

    • As a next step, let's all think about ways to improve communication. 下一步,让我们想想如何改进沟通。

    用这些表达来讨论保密性:

    • I just want to say again that this discussion is confidential. 我只想再说一遍,这次讨论是保密的。
    • Nothing we've discussed here leaves this room. 所有我们在这儿说过的话都不会离开这个屋子。

    用这些表达来结束会议以及感谢与会者:

    • OK, that's it for now. Thank you all for coming. 好了,就到这儿。感谢大家的参加。
    • I think we're finished here. Thanks very much to you all. 我想我们该结束了。非常感谢诸位。
    • This has been a very productive meeting. I appreciate all of you being here. 这次会议非常有成效。感谢各位的参加。
    • That's about it. Let's wrap things up. 差不多了。我们可以结束了。
    • I think we're ready to talk about next steps. 我认为我们可以开始讨论下一步了。
    • Nothing we've discussed here leaves this room. 开会说的内容不能传出这间屋子。
    • I want to thank you all for a very productive meeting. 感谢大家到会,这次会议很有成效。
    • As a next step, I'll follow up with a company report. 下一步我会跟进一份公司报告。
    • Everything we've discussed is strictly confidential. 我们的所有谈话内容严格保密。
    • Unless anyone has anything else, I think we're done. 如果大家没有别的事,会议可以结束了。

    Module 4 Summarizing a meeting

    1. Issues, decisions and changes

    • board of directors 董事会
    • integrate 合并
    • replace 替代
    • chief operating officer 首席运营官
    • That makes sense. 那很有道理。
    • I turned it down. 我拒绝了它。
    • a mess 一团糟
    • doubts 怀疑
    • regrets 遗憾

    表示问题、决定和改变的名词和动词
    这里是一些动词和名词。你可以用这些词来表达对于公司问题、决定和变动的感受。
    Verb Noun

    • regret regret
    • doubt doubt
    • pressure pressure
    • replace replacement
    • integrate integration
    • congratulate congratulations

    注意以下对话中动词和名词的不同形式:

    • A: Do you regret turning down the job? 拒绝这份工作你后悔吗?
    • B: Yes, I do have some doubts. 是的,我犹豫过。
    • A: I'm under a lot of pressure right now. 我现在压力很大。
    • B: You mean, due to the integration of the two companies? 你是说,因为两家公司的合并?
    • A: Yes. I'm afraid that if I don't do my job well, they'll replace me. 是的,我担心如果我的工作做不好,他们会把我换掉。
    • A: Congratulations on your promotion! 祝贺你升职!
    • B: Thanks, but no need to congratulate me. It just means more work. 谢谢,不过不需要祝贺我,这代表我又要做更多的工作了。
    • We think it makes sense to integrate the two companies. 我们认为两家公司合并很有必要。
    • She was replaced because her department was a mess. 她被换下来是因为她的部门很乱。
    • There's a lot of pressure from the board of directors. 来自董事会的压力很大。
    • He turned down the job of chief operating officer. 他拒绝了一份首席运营官的工作。
    • I don't have any doubts or regrets about my decision. 对于我的决定我没有半点怀疑或后悔。

    2. Expressing regret

    • I wish that I'd pushed David more. 我希望我多鼓励一下 David 就好了。
    • We all should've pushed David more. 我们所有人都该多鼓励一下 David。
    • What's done is done. 过去的都过去了,木已成舟
    • Any doubts or regrets about ... 有关……的任何怀疑或遗憾

    表达遗憾:用这些表达来询问是否有遗憾。记住,regret这个词既可以是名词,又可以是动词。

    • Do you have any regrets about leaving the company? 离开公司你后悔过吗?
    • Do you regret turning down the job? 拒绝这份工作你后悔吗?

    用这些表达来表示遗憾。注意,that可用可不用。

    • I wish I had accepted the job. 我要是接受这份工作就好了。
    • She regrets that she didn't accept the position. 她后悔没有接受这个职位。
    • She regrets turning down the position. 她后悔拒绝这份工作。
    • We should have hired the other candidate. 我们当时应该雇用另外一个候选人。
    • 用What's done is done.来表示接受现实。
    • What's done is done. 木已成舟。

    3. Talking about a decision

    • They've decided to move quickly. 他们决定迅速行动。
    • Smart move. 明智之举。
    • Finally. 终于。
    • I need help with a decision. 我做决定需要帮助。
    • The board has decided not to replace ... 董事会决定不更换……
    • I'm not surprised. 我并不吃惊。
    • It's a reasonable move. 你的决定很合理。
    • He's decided to move quickly to replace the COO. 他决定尽快换掉首席运营官。
    • I'm not surprised about the decision. 我对这个决定并不感到意外。
    • I need help with a very difficult decision. 我要做一个非常困难的决定,我需要帮助。
    • The board has decided to hire him. Finally. 终于,董事会决定启用他。
    • I think the decision was a smart move. 我认为这个决定很明智。
    • I think it's a reasonable move on your part. 我觉得你这样做是合情合理的。

    4. Reading a meeting summary

    名词性从句
    名词性从句在句子中做名词用。用动词+that+名词性从句来写会议总结非常有效。注意,that可用可不用。

    • She proposed that the board of directors replace the CFO. 她提议由董事会取代CFO。
    • He decided the merger didn't make sense. 他认为并购不合理。
    • We all agreed that it was a reasonable move. 我们都觉得这是一个合理的变动。
    • I suggested we move quickly. 我建议快点行动。

    注意,有些表示紧急情况或重要性的动词后面跟的是名词性从句,句中动词用的是原形。这叫the subjunctive(虚拟语气)。

    • The CEO insisted that we be on time. CEO强调我们必须准时。
    • I suggested that he take the job. 我建议他接受这份工作。

    news from the meeting

    From:
    james.forrest@genuinegreen.com
    To: sarah.wang@genuinegreen.com

    Hi, Sarah.

    Well, it was a very interesting meeting. There were a lot of different opinions.

    The COO suggested that the board move quickly to accept the government's offer. The CFO disagreed. He proposed that they wait until the financial results from the next quarter were available before making any decision. The CEO agreed that they shouldn't move too quickly, but she also decided they should schedule another meeting with the government for next week.

    I'll let you know what happens.

    Jim


    相关文章

      网友评论

        本文标题:L10 U1 Meetings

        本文链接:https://www.haomeiwen.com/subject/qufcaqtx.html