The only reason I agreed to do this at all is because I figure later on when I’m rich and famous, I’ll have better things to do than answer people’s stupid questions all day long. So this book is gonna come in handy.
figure 认为,猜想,估计
英文解释:If you figure that something is the case, you think or guess that it is the case.
e.g. She figured that she had learned a lot from the experience.
她觉得自己从这一经历中学到了很多东西。
Comment: 以后在表达“认为”的时候可以尝试用这个词,不要总是用“I think…”.
later on 以后
英文解释:at a later time
e.g. I'll let you know later on.以后我会告诉你的。
come in handy 迟早有用,派得上用场
e.g. the sort of junk that might come in handy one day.
这类垃圾以后也可能派上用场。
Comment: 某些表达有用的句子里不要总是用useful,可以试着用come in handy这样的地道表达。
Like I said, I’ll be famous one day, but for now I’m stuck in middle school with a bunch of morons.
Let me just say for the record that I think middle school is the dumbest idea ever invented. You got kids like me who haven’t hit their growth spurt yet mixed in with these gorillas who need to shave twice a day.
be stuck in 困于…; 陷于...
e.g. be stuck in traffic jams 遇上交通堵塞
Fortunately, I know now that you don’t have to be stuck in bad situations.
但是幸运的是,我现在明白,你根本就没有必要深陷泥潭。
a bunch of 一群
英文解释:A bunch of people is a group of people who share one or more characteristics or who are doing something together.
e.g. My neighbours are a bunch of busybodies.
我的邻居们是一群爱管闲事的人。
morons 笨蛋,白痴
say for the record 郑重声明,说明
e.g. I want to say, for the record, that I have never accepted any gift from anyone in your company.
我必须郑重声明,我从来没有从贵公司的任何人手里接受过任何礼物。
hit 达到某一高点或低点
英文解释:If you hit a particular high or low point on a scale of something such as success or health, you reach it.
e.g. Oil prices hit record levels yesterday.
油价昨天达到了创纪录的水平。
growth spurt 生长陡增,生长突增,急剧增长
e.g. Adolescence growth spurt 青春发育高峰期
In this view, the US growth spurt is just around the corner.
按照这种观点,美国经济的井喷式增长即将到来。
Comment: 生理上的发育高峰和经济上的急剧增长都可以使用这个词组,可以替代我们写作当中的increase rapidly.
And then they wonder why bullying is such a big problem in middle school.
If it was up to me, grade levels would be based on height, not age. But then again, I guess that would mean kids like Chirag Gupta would still be in the first grade.
bullying 霸道
Comment: bully是小霸王的意思,班级里的小霸王可以说the class bully。
be up to 取决于,由...决定
e.g. It would be up to them to decide who should take over, or whether they should let an outsider run the company.
届时将由他们决定谁来接管新闻集团,或是否应让外人参与管理新闻集团。
网友评论