The trick to finding ideas is to convince yourself that everyone and everything has a story to tell.
找到灵感的诀窍是说服自己万物皆可发掘出来故事。
I say trick but what I really mean is challenge, because it’s a very hard thing to do.
我虽然说它是诀窍,实际上是个挑战,因为这是很难做到的。
Our instinct as humans, after all, is to assume that most things are not interesting.
毕竟我们人类的天性就是假定大部分事情都是无聊的。
We flip through the channels on the television and reject ten before we settle on one.
我们快速浏览电视上的频道,跳过从十个节目才选中一个。
We go to a bookstore and look at twenty novels before we pick the one we want.
我们去书店买书,翻阅20本小说才确定要买哪本。
We filter and rank and judge. We have to.
我们筛选,看排名和评价。这是必须要做的。
There’s just so much out there.
实在有太多东西了。
But if you want to be a writer, you have to fight that instinct every day.
但是如果你想成为一名作家,你必须要每天挑战天性。
Shampoo doesn’t seem interesting?
洗发露看起来不好玩吗?
Well, damn it, it must be, and if it isn’t, I have to believe that it will ultimately lead me to something that is. (I’ll let you judge whether I’m right in that instance.)
算了,管他呢,他必须得好玩,如果不好玩,我也要相信它最终会带领我找到一些可写之物的。(关于这一点,我要请你来评判下我是否正确。)
网友评论