出现时间:101-33:46
注: R:Robert G:Lady Grantham C:Cora
R:Mama,I'm sorry,No one told me you were here.(妈妈,十分抱歉,没人告诉我你等在这儿)
G:Oh,dear,such a glare! I feel as if I were on stage at the Gaiety.(天哪,如此晃眼,我还以为要登台表演呢)
R:We're used to it,I do wish you'd let me install it in Dower House.It's so convenient.The man who manages the generator could look after your as well.(我们已经习惯了,我希望您能允许我在您的房子里也安上电,这很方便的。照看发电机的那个人可以一并也照管您的。)
G:No,I could't have electricity in thr house'I would't sleep a wink.All the vapours seeping about.(算了,我还是不习惯房子里有电,想想有蒸汽飘散在整个房子里,我肯定一整宿都无法合眼。)
R:Even Cora won't have it in the bedrooms.She did wonder about the kitches.But I couldn't see the point.(即便是柯拉也不愿意在卧室里装上电,一开始还在犹豫厨房里要不要装,我也不知道这是为什么)
G:Before anyone joins,I'm glad of this chance for a little talk.I gather Murry was here today.(在他们进来之前,我很高兴我们有机会谈一谈,听说今天Murry来过啦?)
R:News travels fast.Yes,I saw him,and he's not optimistic that there's anything we can do.(消息传得好快啊,是的,我见过他了,不过他也不是很乐观,并没有什么我们可以做的。)
G:I refuse to believe it.(我才不愿相信呢)
我拒绝相信R:Be that as it may,it's a fact.(木已成舟,不信也得信)
G:But to lose Cora's fortune...(但是保不住柯拉的嫁妆)
R:Really,mama,You know as well as I do that Cora's fortune is not Cora's fortune any more! Thanks to Papa,it is now a part of the estate,and the estate is entailefd to my heir! That is it!That is all of it.(认真的吗,妈妈,你和我一样清楚,柯拉的嫁妆早已不属于柯拉。由于爸爸的关系,它已经是家产的一部分,而家产由我的继承人合法继承。这就是全部事实。)
G:Robert,dear,I don't mean to sound harsh.(罗伯特,我无意说话难听。)
R:You may not mean to,but I bet you will.(难不难听,反正您都是要说的。)
G:24 years ago you married Cora,against my wishes,for her money.Give it away now?and what the point of your peculiar marriage in the first place?(24年前你不顾我的反对娶了柯拉,就图她那丰厚的嫁妆。现在却要拱手让人,那你一开始干嘛还要大费周章娶她呢?)
R:If I were to tell you she'd made me very happy,would that stretch believe?(如果我说娶了她让我很幸福,你能相信吗?)
G: It's not why you chose her. Above all the other girls who could have filled my shoes so easily.(这又不是你当初娶她的原因,当时有那么多的姑娘符合我的标准。)
《唐顿庄园》R:If you must know, when I think of my motives for pursuing Cora.I'm ashamed.Thete's no need to remind me of them.(如果你一定要知道,那我实话告诉你吧,一想到当初我追求柯拉的动机,我就很羞愧,你不必刻意提醒我。)
G:Don't you care about Downton?(难道你就不在乎唐顿了吗?)
R:What do you think? I've given my life to Downton,I was born here and I hope to die here.I claim no career beyond the nurture of this house and estate.It's my third parent and my fourth child.Do I care about it?Yes,I do care!(你说呢?我为唐顿倾尽了我的一生,我在这里出生也希望可以在这里终老。我把这个房子和房产视为我一生的事业,它就像我的另一对父母和第四个孩子。你说我在不在乎?我在乎极了。)
C:I hope I don't hear sounds of a disagreement.(我希望你们不是在争吵。)
G:Is that what they call discussion in New York.(难不成你们纽约人管这叫“讨论”?)
《唐顿庄园》1、such a glare
glare 名词
a bright unpleasant light which hurts your eyes.刺眼的强光
2、at the Gaiety
gaiety 名词
when someone or sth is cheerful and fun.
高兴,有趣
3、generator 名词
a machine that produces electricity.
发电机
4、sleep a wink合眼
5、vapour=vapor 蒸汽,水汽
6、seep 动词
to flow slowly through small holes and spaces渗漏/to move or sparead gradually渐渐散开
网友评论