还记得习语 cut the crap 的寓意吗?今天又带来一个跟 cut 有关的习语 cut to the chase,字面意思真不知道怎么翻译,比喻意思为“抓住核心,抓住要害,直奔主题”,寓意:
come to the point
说到点子上
leave out all unnecessary details
排除所有不必要的细节
解析:短语动词 leave out 意为“排除,不包括”。
focus on the major point
关注重点
say only what is important and leave out minor details
只说重要的事,不提细节
例如:
We haven't got all day for this discussion. Let's cut to the chase.
我们没有时间讨论这个问题。我们直奔主题吧。
After the customary greetings and handshakes, we cut to the chase and began negotiating with our clients.
在习惯性的问候和握手之后,我们抓住核心开始着手与客户谈判。
He was busy with his work, so I cut to the chase and told him that the project had been cancelled.
他忙于工作,所以我直截了当地告诉他,这个项目已经取消了。
解析:cancel 这个动作发生在过去时 told 之前,所以往过去挪一个时态,就是过去完成时。
I don't have time for idle talk, so cut to the chase and tell me what you want.
我没时间闲聊,所以直截了当地告诉我你想要什么。
I can see that you are busy, so I'll cut to the chase. I need you to lend me a large amount of money.
我看得出你很忙,所以我就直截了当地说。我需要你借给我一大笔钱。
解析:表示数量小可以使用 tiny/small/minuscule amount of ,例如:
There is a minuscule amount of time left to register. Hurry up!
还有很短的时间可以登记。快点!
网友评论