美文网首页每天写1000字
跟着卷福学英语(四十九)

跟着卷福学英语(四十九)

作者: 刘二傻 | 来源:发表于2016-02-26 20:14 被阅读73次

    前景提要:卷福似乎知道了些什么,于是和华生前往实验室一探究竟。卷福是否能找到关于“巨型猎犬”的正确答案呢?

    Man A:Afternoon, sir. Can you turn the engine off? Thank you.下午好,先生,能关掉引擎吗?谢谢。

    S:I need to see Major Barrymore as soon as we get inside.我需要马上见巴里莫尔少校。

    W:Right.好的。

    S:Which means you'll have to start the search for the hound.所以你去找猎犬。

    W:OK.好。

    S:In the labs. Stapleton's first. It could be dangerous.去实验室找,先去斯塔佩顿那间,可能会有危险。

    B:Oh, you know I'd love to. I'd love to give you unlimite access to this place. Why not?哦,我完全乐意让你在这里为所欲为,为什么不呢?

    S:It's a simple enough request, Major.这要求很简单,上校。

    B:I've never heard of anything so bizarre.我从来没听说过如此荒唐的事。

    S:You're to give me 24 hours, it's what I negotiated.我只需要24小时。

    B:Not a second more. I may have to comply with this order, but I don't have to like it. I don't know what the hell you expect to find here, anyway.一秒也不多给,我必须执行这个命令,但我不一定要喜欢,真不知道你到底想找什么。

    S:Perhaps the truth.也许是真相。

    B:About what? Oh, I see. The big coat should have told me. You're one of the conspiracy lot, aren't you? Well, then, go ahead, seek them out, the monsters, the death rays, the aliens.关于什么的?我明白了,看你大衣就该明白,你也是那种阴谋论者吧?好呀,去把他们找出来呀,怪物,死光射线,外星人。

    S:Have you got any of those? Oh, just wondering.这里有吗?

    B:A couple.Crash landed here in the '60s. We call them Abbott and Costello. Good luck, Mr Holmes.我就随口一问,就一对儿60年代在这里坠毁的,我们叫他们阿伯特与科斯特洛(美国喜剧搭档),祝你好运,福尔摩斯先生。

    W:Hello? No, come on. Come on. No... Don't be ridiculous. Pick up. Oh, damn it.有人吗?别这样,快点,快点,得了,别开玩笑了,接起来,该死。

    W:It's here. It's in here with me.它在这儿,和我在一起。

    S:Where are you?你在哪?

    W:Get me out, Sherlock, you've got to get me out. The big lab, the first lab that we saw.救我出去,夏洛克,你得救我出去,大实验室,我们见到的第一个。

    S:John... John?约翰...约翰?

    W:Now, Sherlock! Please!快点,夏洛克,求你了。

    S:All right, I'll find you. Keep talking.好的,我会来找你,继续说话。

    W:I can't, it'll hear me.我不能,它能听见我。

    S:Keep talking. What are you seeing? John?继续说话,你看见什么?约翰?

    W:Yes, I'm here.我在这儿。

    S:What can you see? 你看见什么?

    W:I don't know. I don't know, but I can hear it now. Did you hear that?我不知道,可是我听得到它。你能听到吗?

    S:Stay calm, stay calm. Can you see it? Can you see it?镇定,你看的到它吗?你能看见吗?

    W:No, I can't.不,我看不见。 

    W:I can see it. I can see it. It's here.我看见了。我看见了。它在这里。

    S:Are you all right? John?你还好吗约翰?

    W:Jesus Christ! It was the hound! Sherlock, it was here, I swear it, Sherlock, it must, it must... Did-did you see it? You must have!上帝啊,是猎犬,夏洛克它刚才在这里,我发誓它一定...你看见了吗?一定看见了。

    S:It's all right, it's OK now.好了,现在没事了。

    W:It's not. it's not ok! I saw it, I was wrong!没有,问题大了。我见到了,我错了。

    S:Hm, well, let's not jump to conclusions.好吧,别急着下结论。

    W:What?什么?

    S:What did you see?你看到什么?

    W:I told you, I saw the hound?我说了,我看到猎犬了。

    S:Huge, red eyes?体型巨大,目如赤焰?

    W:Yes.对。

    S:Glowing?通体发光?

    W:Yeah.是的。

    S:No.不是。

    W:What?什么?

    S:I made up the bit about glowing. You saw what you expected to see because I told you. You have been drugged.we have all been drugged.通体发光是我编的。你看到了我告诉你的东西。你被下药了,我们都被下药了。

    W:Drugged?下药?

    S:Can you walk?你能走路吗?

    W:Of course I can walk.当然可以。

    S:Come on, then. It's time to lay this ghost.走吧,是时候抓这只鬼了。

    Stapleton:Oh, back again? What's on your mind this time?回来了哈,这回又想到什么了?

    S:Murder, Dr Stapleton. Refined, cold-blooded murder. Will you tell little Kirsty what happened to Bluebell, or shall I?谋杀斯坦佩顿博士,深思熟虑的,冷血谋杀。 还是我来?铃兰的下场你来告诉小科斯蒂。

    Stapleton:OK. What do you want?好吧,你想要什么?

    S:Can I borrow your microscope?可以借你的显微镜吗?

    Stapleton:Are you sure you're OK? You look very peaky.你真的没事吗?瞧你脸色煞白。

    W:No, I'm all right.没事,我很好。

    Stapleton:It was the GFP gene from a jellyfish, in case you're interested.想知道的话,那是水母里的绿色荧光蛋白基因。

    W:What?什么?

    Stapleton:In the rabbits.兔子用的。

    W:Oh, right, yeah.好吧。 

    Stapleton:Aequorea victoria, if you really want to know.维多利亚多管发光水母,如果你们真想知道。

    W:Why?为什么?

    Stapleton:Why not? We don'task questions like that here. It isn't done. It was a mix-up, anyway. Mydaughter ended up with one of the lab specimens, so poor Bluebell had to go.为什么不呢?我们这里不问这个问题,还没有成功。其实是搞混了,我女儿抱回了一只实验室样本,所以可怜的铃兰只能死了。

    W:Your compassion is overwhelming!你可真有同情心。

    Stapleton:I know. I hate myself sometimes.我知道,我有时也恨自己。

    W:So, come on, then, you can trust me, I'm a doctor, what else have you got hidden away up here?那好,你可以相信我,我是个医生。你们还有什么藏在这里?

    Stapleton:Listen, if you can imagine it, someone is probably doing it somewhere. Of course they are.拜托你们想象一下,别的地方肯定也有人在干这个,当然有。

    W:Cloning?克隆?

    Stapleton:Yes, of course. Dolly the Sheep, remember?当然,你还记得多利羊吧?

    W:Human cloning?克隆人?

    Stapleton:Why not?怎么不行?

    W:And what about animals? Not sheep. Big animals.或者其它动物?不是羊,大的动物。

    Stapleton:Size isn't a problem. Not at all. The only limits are ethics and the law and both those things can be very flexible. But not here, not at Baskerville. It's not there!大小完全不是问题,唯一限制就是道德和法律,二者都那么灵活,但是巴斯克维尔没有。

    S:Jesus! Nothing there! It doesn't make any sense!上帝,什么都没有,没道理呀。

    Stapleton:What were you expecting to find?你到底想找什么?

    S:A drug, of course.It has to be a drug. An hallucinogenic or a deliriant of some kind. There's no trace of anything in the sugar.当然是药,一定有一种药。致幻剂或引起精神错乱的药,糖里面并没有痕迹。

    W:Sugar?糖?

    S:Sugar, yes. A simple process of elimination. I saw the hound, saw it as my imagination expected me to see it. A genetically engineered monster. I knew I couldn't believe my eyes, so there were seven possible reasons, the most possible being narcotics. Henry Knight, he saw it too, but you didn't, John. You didn't see it. We have eaten and drunk the same things since we got to Grimpen, apart from one thing. You don't take sugar in your coffee.对,糖。很简单的排除法,我见到猎犬,就像我想象中的一样,一个基因改造的怪兽,我知道不能相信自己的眼睛,所以有7种可能性,其中最有可能的就是麻醉药,亨利·奈特也看到了,但你没看到,约翰,我们到格林盆后,吃喝的都一样,除了一件事,你的咖啡里不加糖。

    W:I see, so?我知道所以?

    S:I took it from Henry's kitchen,his sugar. It's perfectly all right.我从亨利厨房里拿了糖,但它完全正常。 

    W:But maybe it's not adrug.也许不是被下药了。

    S:No, it has to be a drug. How did it get into our systems? How? There has to be something, something...Something... Something buried deep.不,一定有下药。我们从哪吸收的药物,从哪?一定有什么事一定有什么,隐藏在深处的事情。

    S:Get out.出去。

    Stapleton:What?什么?

    S:Get out, I need to go to my mind palace.出去,我得进入我的思维殿堂。

    Stapleton:Your what?你的什么?

    W:He's not going to be doing much talking for a while, we may as well go.他一段时间之内不会说话我们还是走吧

    Stapleton:His what?他的什么?

    W:Oh, his "mind palace". It's a memory technique, a sort of mental map. You plot a map with a location, it doesn't have to be a real place. You deposit memories there.   Theoretically, you never forget anything. All you do is find your way back to it.他的"思维殿堂"是一种记忆方法,精神世界的地图,给一个场所画块地图,不需要真有空间,然后把记忆储存在里面,理论上,你不会忘掉任何事,只需按图找回去。

    Stapleton:So this imaginary location could be anything, a house or a street?随便想象什么场所比如房子,或一条街?

    W:Yeah.对。

    Stapleton:But he said "palace", he said it was a palace?但他说殿堂,是个殿堂?

    W:Yeah, well, he would, wouldn't he?是啊挺配他的是吗?

    S:Project HOUND. Imust have read about it, stored it away. An experiment in a CIA facility inLiberty, Indiana. H-O-U-N-D猎犬计划,我肯定在哪读过,存在记忆里,印第安纳自由镇,中情局属地的实验。

    Stapleton:That's as far as my access goes, I'm afraid.恐怕只能进入到这里了。

    W:There must be an override, a password?肯定有高等级的密码吧。

    Stapleton:I imagine so, but that'd be Major Barrymore's.大概有,可那得是巴里莫尔少校的。

    S:Password, password. Password. He sat here when he thought it up. Describe him to me?密码,密码,密码,他想出密码的时候坐在这里,描述一下他?

    Stapleton:You've seen him.你见过他。

    S:But describe him.描述他。

    Stapleton:He's a bloody martinet, a throw-back, the sort they'd have sent into Suez.严苛得要命老古板,会被派去苏伊士的类型。

    S:Good, excellent, old-fashioned. Traditionalist. Not the sort to use his children's name as a password. He loves his job, proud of it and this is work-related. So what's at eye level? Books. Jane's Defence Weekly, bound copies. Hannibal. Wellington. Rommel. Churchill's History of the English-Speaking Peoples, all four volumes.非常好,守旧,传统主义者,不会用孩子的名字作密码,他热爱工作,为此自豪所以和工作有关,他视线朝哪?书,简氏防务周刊、合订本、汉尼拔、威灵顿、隆美尔、丘吉尔的英语国家史略全4册。

    S:Churchill, he's fond of Churchill. Copy of The Downing Street Years, one to five. Separate biographies of Thatcher. Mid-1980s, at a guess. Father and son. Barrymore Senior, medals, Distinguished Service Order.丘吉尔,他特别喜欢丘吉尔,唐宁街岁月,一二三四五本,不同的撒切尔夫人传,80年代的中期吧父子照,老巴里莫尔戴着军功章,杰出服务勋章。

    W:That date, I'd say Falklands veteran.看日期应该是福克兰岛老兵。

    S:Right, Thatcher's a more likely bet than Churchill.好吧,撒切尔比丘吉尔更可能。

    Stapleton:That's the password?这就是密码?

    S:No! With a man like Major Barrymore, only first name terms would do.不,巴里莫尔上校这样的人,只会用教名。

    Stapleton:hound猎犬。

    W:Jesus上帝啊。

    相关文章

      网友评论

        本文标题:跟着卷福学英语(四十九)

        本文链接:https://www.haomeiwen.com/subject/ytjikttx.html