But only a moment, Mrs. Hudson is a mistress |
但就一会儿 哈德森太太 |
of the art of fire lighting. |
可是升火的行家 |
Ah, this is my intimate friend |
啊 这是我最好的伙伴 |
and associate, Dr. Watson, |
也是助手 华生医生 |
before whom you may speak as freely as before myself. |
你可以在他面前畅谈 就像在我面前一样 |
How do you do? |
你好吗? |
Mrs. Hudson, do you think you could |
哈德森太太 你能不能 |
bring this young lady a hot cup of coffee, |
给这位女士来杯热咖啡 |
for I observed you are shivering. |
我发现在你在颤抖 |
It is not cold which makes me shiver. |
我并不是冻得发抖 |
What, then? |
那是为什么? |
It is fear, Mr. Holmes. |
是害怕 福尔摩斯先生 |
It is terror. |
是恐惧 |
You must not fear, |
你无须害怕 |
we shall set matters right, |
我们会把事情处理好 |
have no doubt. |
不必疑虑 |
You have come by train, I see, this morning. |
今早你是乘火车来的 |
You know me, then? |
这么说你认识我? |
No, but I observed the second half of a return ticket |
不 我只是看到了半截回程票 |
in the palm of your left glove. |
在你左手手套里 |
You started early, but you had a drive |
你很早就动身了 先乘马车 |
in a dog-cart, along heavy roads, |
两轮马车 经过一段泥路 |
before you reached the station. |
才到达火车站 |
There is no mystery, my dear lady, |
这没什么神秘的 年轻的女士 |
the left arm of your jacket |
您上衣的左边袖子 |
is spattered with mud |
溅上了泥点 |
in no less than seven places, |
不少于七处 |
the marks are fresh. |
泥迹还未干 |
There is no vehicle |
唯有一种交通工具 |
save a dog-cart which throws up mud |
就是两轮马车 会溅起 |
in that particular way, |
这么特别的泥点 |
and then only when you sit on |
而且只有当你坐在 |
the left-hand side of the driver. |
车夫左手边时才可能 |
You are perfectly correct. |
你说的太对了 |
Sir, I can stand the strain no longer; |
先生 我再也不能承受这种紧张了 |
I shall go mad if it continues. |
再这样下去我要疯了 |
I have heard of you from Mrs. Farintosh, |
我从费林托夫人那里听说了你 |
whom you helped in the hour of her sore need. |
你曾帮助她度过了困境 |
Farintosh. |
费林托 |
My dear Helen, |
我亲爱的海伦 |
it is difficult for me to advise you |
我很难给你什么建议 |
since you present so few facts, |
你给我的情况太少 |
but I know you to be a sensible girl, |
但我知道你是个聪明的姑娘 |
not prone to hysterics. |
不会随便猜疑 |
I was one of your poor, dear mother's oldest friends. |
我是你可怜的母亲的最老的朋友 |
完整版请点击 |
|
I can only suggest that if your fears persist, |
我只能建议你 如果一直恐惧 |
you should contact Mr. Sherlock Holmes, |
去找夏洛克·福尔摩斯先生 |
221B Baker Street. |
贝克街221B |
Farintosh, oh, yes, I do remember the case. |
费林托 对了 我记得那个案子 |
It concerned an opal tiara. |
是关于头冠上的猫眼石 |
I think it was before your time, Watson. |
应该发生在你来之前 华生 |
Thank you, Mrs. Hudson. |
谢谢 哈德森太太 |
Sir, do you not think you could help me, too? |
先生 你是否也可以帮助我呢? |
At present it is out of my power to reward you, |
目前 我还没办法酬谢你 |
but in a few weeks I should be married |
但几周后我就要结婚了 |
with control of my own income. |
到时就可以支配我的收入 |
I shall be happy to devote the same care |
我很乐意帮助你 |
to your case as to that of your friend. |
就像帮助你的朋友一样 |
As to reward my profession |
至于酬谢 我的工作 |
is its own reward; |
本身就是酬劳 |
but you are at liberty to defray |
但是你也可以 |
whatever expenses I may be put to at the time |
随意付给我些酬劳 在你认为 |
which suits you best. |
合适的时候 |
And now I beg you, lay everything before us |
现在请告诉我们事情的全部经过 |
which may help us form an opinion upon this matter. |
以便于我们作出初步判断 |
My name is Helen Stoner. |
我叫海伦·斯通 |
I live with my stepfather, |
和我继父住在一起 |
Dr. Grimesby Roylott, |
格林斯比·罗依罗德医生 |
who is the last survivor of one of the oldest |
他是英国最老的撒克逊家族 |
Saxon families in England. |
唯一的后裔 |
The Roylotts of Stoke Moran, |
斯托克摩兰的罗依罗德 |
the name is familiar to me. |
这个名字似曾相识 |
He is a doctor by profession, |
他的职业是医生 |
a skilled one. |
经验丰富 |
For some years he had a large and flourishing practice |
他曾经行医多年 名誉卓著 |
in India, in Calcutta. |
在印度 加尔各答 |
Dr. Watson has also practiced medicine in India. |
华生医生也曾在印度行医 |
Yes, attached to the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers. |
对 跟随诺森伯兰第五火枪团 |
Pray continue, Miss Stoner. |
请继续 斯通小姐 |
In Calcutta, he married my mother. |
在加尔各答 他娶了我母亲 |
She was the young widow of Major mother's remarriage, |
她是一名少校留下的年轻寡妇 |
and my sister, Julia, was five years older. |
当时我只有两岁 我姐姐朱丽亚五岁 |
Our mother had a considerable sum of money... |
我母亲有一大笔钱 |
not less than a thousand a year... |
一年进项不少于一千磅 |
and this she bequeathed to Dr. Roylott entirely |
这些她全留给了罗依罗德医生 |
while we resided with him. |
让我们和他住 |
Forgive me, your mother has passed on? |
抱歉 你母亲过世了吗? |
Shortly after our return to England, |
我们回英国后不久 |
she was killed |
她出了事 |
in a railway accident near Crewe. |
一次铁路交通意外 靠近科尔的地方 |
My stepfather then abandoned his attempts |
然后我的继父便放弃了 |
to establish himself in practice in London |
在伦敦开始他事业的初衷 |
and took us to live in his ancestral house |
带着我们搬回了他的祖屋 |
at Stoke Moran. |
就在斯托克摩兰 |
But the money your mother left you |
但你母亲留给你们的钱 |
was enough for all your wants, |
足以满足你们的需要 |
so that was no obstacle to your happiness? |
所以你们仍可以过富足的生活? |
A terrible change came over my stepfather, |
我继父发生了可怕的转变 |
instead of making friends and exchanging visits |
他不和人交朋友 也不去 |
with our neighbors, |
拜访邻居 |
who at first were overjoyed |
他们一开始十分高兴 |
to see a Roylott back in the family seat, |
看到罗依罗德家人回到故乡 |
he shut himself up in the house |
但他把自己关在房子里 |
and indulged in ferocious quarrels. |
沉湎于和人疯狂争斗 |
At times it was and still is hard to keep him out |
从那时到现在 我们很难避免 |
of the police courts. |
他进警察局 |
He's become the terror of the village. |
他成了村中一霸 |
Does he permit any visitors? |
他允许别人拜访吗 |
No, except my fianc?and some wandering gypsies. |
不 除了我的未婚夫和一些流浪的吉普赛人 |
Gypsies? |
吉普赛人? |
Vagabonds, whom he has given leave |
流浪者 他允许他们 |
to encamp on his land. |
在他的土地上扎营 |
Sometimes he goes away with them for days at a time. |
有时 他和他们一出去就是好几天 |
You can imagine from what I'm saying |
你可以从我的描述中看出来 |
that my poor sister Julia and I |
我可怜的姐姐朱莉亚和我 |
had no great pleasure in our lives. |
生活中几乎没什么乐趣 |
No servant would stay long |
仆人都待不了多久 |
so we did all the work of the house. |
所有的家务都是我们俩做 |
She was but 30 when I lost her, |
她年仅三十岁就去世了 |
but already her hair had begun to whiten, |
那时她的头发已经花白了 |
even as mine has. |
和我的一样 |
网友评论