我们知道小写的 china 是瓷器的意思,那么 bull in a china shop 的字面意思就是“瓷器店里的公牛”,因为公牛很凶猛,长得壮,所以 bull in a china shop 比喻鲁莽闯祸的人,可以意为“鲁莽闯祸的人”等,经常跟在“like a”后面,寓意:
extremely awkward, clumsy person
极其尴尬笨拙的人
to handle a delicate situation badly
处理棘手的情况
to not be able to manage a light situation
不能应付一个轻松的局面
to act in a clumsy manner thereby causing destruction unintentionally
笨拙地行动从而无意中造成破坏
例如:
The president has been attacking foreign ministers and even the people in his own party like a bull in a china shop. This has not only led to a lot of criticism but people have started alienating from him.
总统一直在攻击外交部长,甚至他自己党内的人民,就像一个鲁莽闯祸的人。这不仅招致了很多批评,而且人们开始疏远他。
解析:not only ... but (also) 是并列连词,用来连接和强调两个同等的成分,用来表示令人惊讶或是意料之外的事,而且后者的更为令人惊讶。
I behaved like a bull in a china shop last night. I'm so sorry.
我昨晚表现得很鲁莽。我很抱歉。
You are like a bull in a china shop, a complete misfit in a museum.
你就像一个鲁莽闯祸的人,跟博物馆的其他人格格不入。
My daughter is almost always like a bull in a china shop.
我女儿几乎总是像一个鲁莽闯祸的人。
You need not act like a bull in a china shop. There are better ways to resolve this.
你没必要表现地那么鲁莽。有更好的方法来解决这个问题。
解析:不定式 to resolve this 作定语,修饰 ways,类似的抽象名词还有ability,chance,idea,fact,excuse,promise,answer,reply,attempt,belief 等。
Tom Roger is like a bull in a china shop when it comes to dealing with her wife's feeling and emotions.
汤姆·罗杰在处理她妻子的感情和情绪时就像一个鲁莽闯祸的人。
解析:when it comes to (doing) sth 表示“当涉及(做)某事的情况、事情或问题时”,这里的 to 是介词。
做事要三思而后行 (look before you leap),这样遇到问题或是面对困难的时候,就不会心慌意乱(butterflies in stomach)或 横冲直撞(a bull in a china shop)。
网友评论